We're still here to serve you, but we're experiencing a high volume of orders so processing and/or shipping may be delayed. Thank you for your business, we are continuing to hire additional staff to handle the influx of orders. For the latest updates on COVID-19, visit CDC.gov.

How to Complete a Vehicle Title Transfer. You may be looking to complete a vehicle title transfer because you:

Bought, were gifted, or inherited one or because you moved to a new state and need to title your car, truck, motorcycle, or boat there. Whatever the reason, the process and requirements will vary based on the state that you are in. In states like California and Maryland, you may find commonalities like the need for a vehicle inspection whereas as in a state like Florida, inspections are not required.

How to Sign A Car Title Over To New Owner

Agreeing to purchase a vehicle from a private seller or dealership in any state is just the start. To make it a done deal, you must follow through with the paperwork. There are many a horror story for both buyer and sellers who neglected to complete car title transfers in a timely manner.

Cars, trucks, or motorcycles purchased at a dealership will usually be a breeze. This is because the dealership typically files an electronic title transfer and handles all the leg work. As the (future) vehicles owner, you just need to sign the paperwork the require and pay any necessary fees either to the dealership.
If you are the buyer of a vehicle held privately for sale, the seller (which also needs to be the person listed on the title) must sign over the title to you. Next, you will need to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), Motor Vehicle Administration (MVD) or Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) in your state and fill-out the required title transfers form and pay the required cost to complete the transfer.
Keep in mind, this will most likely all have to be done in person because transferring a title online is not an option very many states provide. More likely than not, you will also register the vehicle at the time you do the title transfer so that you can obtain your license plates.

You may find yourself in the position of needing a title change because you are being gifted or inheriting a vehicle. In such situations, the process is usually the same as when a title is transferred because the car is sold. It is still a transfer of ownership of the vehicle from one person to another.

Other Reasons for Title Transfers

Some differences, depending on the state you live in, may be that you won’t need to have a licensed vary verify the VIN nor need to have an inspection if either is usually required in your state. Often, any required value taxes may be waived as well.

If you have moved to a new state, you may want or be required to transfer the title such that you are issued a title by the state you now reside in for the vehicle you already own. Changing your title over from one state to another is usually simple and requires handing over the out of state title so you can be issued an in-state title. If you have lost the title, you can usually obtain a copy from the state it is filed with. You may also be able to just register your vehicle in the new state to obtain plates without having to transfer the title. Contact your state’s DMV, MVD, or RMV for more information on this option.

Registration Information

It is important to remember that, while often thought of as one thing, a registration is separate from a title. You title a vehicle to establish ownership. You register a vehicle to establish that it is legal to be driven on public roads.

Registrations are important documents. If you are stopped by the police or if you are involved in a crash, you will need to produce the registration card or certificate along with proof of insurance. This is the case in virtually every state. It is important to keep the card or certificate in the vehicle or it needs to be with the person that is driving the vehicle. Also, you may be asking if you can transfer license plates from one car to another. The answer is usually yes, as long as the owner remains the same. You usually cannot do a registration transfer or transfer of plates to another person, such as the one you are selling or gifting your vehicle to.