Title Transfer in Maryland

Transfer Vehicle Ownership Online with eTags

Get started here

Automated Paperwork Online

As you answer a few questions about your vehicle such as make/model, VIN number and yourself, the application for duplicate title form gets completed. Nothing extra to do on your end!

Out-of-State Shipping

If you’re away from home, eTags can mail out your title replacement to anywhere you’d like–even if the address doesn’t match what the DMV has on file. All we need is proof of residency!

Assistance Resolving Issues

Some title replacement require a little bit more attention, our title specialists could help resolve issues that may be stopping you from getting a duplicate title for your vehicle like a lien.

Payment Options, Even Over Time

eTags accepts all major credit cards, PayPal, PayPal Pay In 4 for split payments, and PayPal Credit so everyone could enjoy the perks of managing their vehicles paperwork online.

If you bought a vehicle, received one as a gift or inherited it, or if you just moved to Maryland, you need to transfer the title of your car, motorcycle or SUV to become its legal owner.

5 Star Excellence award from Shopper Approved for collecting at least 100 5 star reviews

Our Registration and Titling Specialists are well-versed in various, complex vehicle services including title replacements, and resolving registration flags. You can reach customer support via email, phone or by using your personal account with eTags. That’s where you can have direct contact with our Team and check up on order updates and next steps should we need more documentation.

There are many reasons someone would transfer ownership of their car or other vehicle type. If you bought, were gifted or inherited a vehicle, or if you moved to a new state such as MD, you need to transfer the title of your car, motorcycle or boat to become the legal owner. Here’s a closer look:

  • You recently moved to Maryland and need to transfer your out-of-state title
  • You recently purchased a new or used vehicle including car, pickup truck, SUV, moped, motorcycle or motor scooter
  • You’ve been gifted or will be gifted a vehicle from an immediate family member
  • You’re donating a vehicle to charity

As the vehicle seller, transferring ownership of your car once it’s sold acts as proof that you’re no longer legally responsible for that vehicle. So if it gets into a car accident, accumulates parking tickets or tolls and the like (after you’ve sold it and transfer title), you’re not held accountable for any of it. It’s then the responsibility of your buyer.

For the buyer, the title is proof of ownership of the car. Once signed, the buyer becomes the legal owner of the vehicle. The title is also then used for a new registration, so the vehicle can be driven on public roads. A vehicle title identifies ownership, while a registration allows you to drive the car on roadways.

The Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration, known as the MDOT MVA, processes Maryland title transfers INTO and WITHIN MD. While each title transfer situation requires submitting particular forms, the overall process is the same for titling vehicles in Maryland.

If you’re transferring a title from out of state, you could submit the forms and car title fees by mail to the MVA’s Out-of-State Title Unit at: 6601 Ritchie Highway, Glen Burnie, MD 21062. Or you can transfer ownership of your out-of-state vehicle online with eTags. Transfer request for recently purchased or gifted vehicles must be completed at your local MDOT MVA office, although the new title issued will be mailed to you.

When it comes to titling vehicles, you can use the actual MD title as your application for transferring ownership. If you’re registering vehicle at the time of title transfer, make sure to have proof of Maryland auto insurance so you can get tags. If you have an out-of-state title, you have to use registration documents as your proof of ownership to compete your MVA application for certificate of title (FORM VR-005). Also, if you have an errors on your MD title or it’s lost/stolen, you can order a duplicate title before transferring ownership to someone else.

For out-of-state titles on vehicles new to Maryland, eTags will need your registration certificate, as well as VIN verification and odometer reading. Maryland requires out-of-state used cars, trucks, tractors, trailers, motorcycles and other types of vehicles coming into the state to get a safety inspection. This can be done by a licensed Maryland inspection station, like a car dealership, service station or specialized auto service center. The certificate inspection, which includes the VIN verification, must be issued within 90 days the title application.

Before applying for registration, you must obtain sufficient car insurance coverage from a vehicle insurance company licensed in Maryland. You'll need a policy that covers:

  • $30,000 for bodily injury
  • $60,000 for 2 or more people
  • $15,000 property damage

If you're new to Maryland and have coverage from an out-of-state provider, you'll need to contact them to have them convert your insurance policy to a Maryland one. If your current provider doesn't offer that, you can shop for new coverage here Maryland law is extremely strict on uninsured motorist, there could be penalty fees for each lapse of insurance - $150 for the first 30 days, $7 for each day thereafter, among other fines and penalties including registration privileges.

If you don't have your vehicle title because it's in the possession of a lien holder, you can have them send a copy of the title to the MDOT MVA. The MDOT MVA customer service center will need a fax number to contact your lienholder in order to obtain the title copy. Once that documentation is received, someone from the customer service center will contact you to complete the required steps outlined above.

While boat trailers and all other wheeled vehicles are registered with the MDOT MVA in Maryland, registration of vessels must be done with the Department of Natural Resources. Boat registrations must be done in person at a service center by completing the DNR B-240 form. The registration is issued for two years, and the expiration is always on December 31st.