According to the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, one person is killed every 53 minutes in the United States by a drunk driver. Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) is a nonprofit organization that raises awareness and fights to save lives in a number of ways including through their Walk Like MADD events. Walk Like MADD events are held in cities nationwide and hosted by companies and people alike. The 5k run not only raises awareness for drunk driving issues but also brings communities together.
- When – August 1, 2015 from 9am to 11am
- Where – Sloan’s Lake Park, Denver CO
The top fund-raisers include Team SSK who experienced the loss of a loved as a result of a drunk driver. Sponsors include Bachus & Schanker LLC., King Soopers, American Family Insurance, The Frickey Law Firm, Fairmount, Lapham, and NuBilt Restoration & Construction.
Save Money on Your Auto Insurance Bill, Compare Quotes Fast
- When – August 2, 2015 from 9am to 1pm
- Where – Independence Grove, Libertyville IL
Top fundraisers include Team Danielle which consists of friends and family of a young girl who died as a result of a drunk driver. Sponsors include American Hotel Register Company, Allstate Cutting Company Inc., A to Z Rental Center, and more.
- When – August 8, 2015 from 8am to 12pm
- Where – Dogwood Park, Cookeville TN
Top fundraisers include Team Algood which consists of friends and family of a young man who was killed as a passenger in a drunk diving crash. Sponsors include Cumberland Auto Center, The Law Office of Ivy Scarborough, Maddie’s, Freedom Pointe Supportive Living Center, LLC, and Barton Clements, M.D.
Royal Oak, Michigan
- When – August 22, 2015 from 7am to 9:30am
- Where – Detroit Zoo, Detroit MI
Top fundraisers include Team Denise and Team Remembering Casey’s Smile which consist of friends and family of individuals severely injured or killed in drunk driving crashes.
- When – August 29, 2015 from 8:30am to 12pm
- Where – C. Steere Park, Shreveport LA
Help Prevent Drunk Driving
Besides participating in one of the Walk Like MADD events, there are many other ways that you can help fight against drinking and driving.
- Volunteer with MADD by advocating for change, becoming a fundraiser, and more
- Donate gifts, vehicles, money and more to MADD
- Take action by getting involved in petitioning states to pass tougher DUI laws
If you do see someone who is intoxicated and intent on driving, MADD recommends following these tips:
- If are in a public place (bar, restaurant, etc), suggest that they find an alternate form of transportation like a taxi or bus being as non-confrontational as possible and speaking clearly and slowly if needed.
- If it’s your home, suggest they sleep over and be as inviting as possible so that they do not deny your offer thinking they would be an intrusion.
- In either situation (in a public place or in your home), gather other people as moral support. It’s harder to say no to more than one person.
- If you know the individual, get their keys if it’s possible and keep them away from the individual until they either fall asleep if they are in your home, concede to take alternate transportation, or sufficient times has passed (at least 2 hours or more) since their last drink. Please use your judgement since, in many cases, a person will need to sleep it off which means waiting a couple of hours until it “wears off” may not be sufficient.
- If you cannot deter the individual from driving while drunk, call the authorities and provide them the person’s name if you can, vehicle make, model and color, location and direction of travel. Stay on the line with the authorities until they have indicated they have all the information they need.