DMV Address Change Resources

Moving or recently moved and need to change your address with the DMV? Use our resources to help you complete your vehicle registration and driver’s license address change requests. States have different requirements for when you can or need to change the address information on pertinent documents. A change of address request must be completed with the Department of Motor Vehicles in order to have your driver’s license, car registration and/or title updated. Click on your state below to see what you’ll need to do update your address with the DMV.

Additional Items for Your Address Change Checklist

In addition to the DMV, there are other federal agencies you may have to contact like:


In order to have your mail forwarded for up to one year, you must contact the US postal service and notify them that you have moved. You can go to a local post office or complete the address change online with them.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

If you are expecting a refund or other communication via mail from the IRS, an IRS address change form needs to be filled out. If you are not expecting any correspondence from them during or just after your move, you can wait until you file your next return to provide your new address.

State Election Office

If you are a registered voter, you will need to contact your state’s election office to notify them that you have moved. You may be assigned a new precinct based on your address.

Other Federal Agencies to Consider

Social Security Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs, US Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Human Services, Department of Labor and others.

Other than federal agencies, you may also need to contact the following organizations:

  • Electric
  • Gas
  • Water
  • Garbage
  • Telephone / Mobile
  • Cable & Internet
  • Physicians / Medical Providers
  • Bank & Loan Institutions
  • Pension & retirement Plans
  • Subscriptions services (rewards programs, newspapers, magazines, etc)

Save on Your Auto Insurance When You Move

If you are moving to a new state, you’ll also need to contact your car insurance company. You may be required to apply for insurance with a different provider in case your current insurer does not service the state you have moved to. You can use this search box and enter your new zip code to see competitive offers from car insurance companies available to you. Even if you are moving and staying within the same state, it is smart to check quotes for other providers. You might be surprised at the savings you’re missing out on!

© 2017
eTags and the eTags Logo are registered trademarks
By using this service you appoint eTags and its affiliates as your Agent for the limited, specific purpose of providing vehicle registration renewals with your State Motor Vehicle Department.