Delaware DMV Title Transfer Guide
How To Transfer A Vehicle Title In Delaware
Whether you are buying or selling a car in Delaware, you will need to know how to transfer a title. This quick FAQ will supply all the info and links you need to get the job done the first time.
Use eTags© to Quickly Complete Your DMV Service. Renewals, Title Transfers and More, All Online!
This must be done within 30 days of the sale of the vehicle.
What Is A Car Title?
The title is the document that verifies the official ownership of every vehicle in the state. The registration is associated with the license plates.
The title will include the following information:
- Make, year, and model of the vehicle.
- The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
- Number of passengers, doors, and weight of the vehicle.
- Name and address of the owner.
- Name and address of the seller.
- Name and address of the lien holder.
When the car is sold, a new title must be issued to the new owner, thus completing a title transfer.
What Do I Need To Transfer My Car Title In Delaware?
While you do need to fill out the sections of the title to declare the date and price of the car, there are a few other things to do.
Follow the steps below to ensure you properly complete the required title transfer forms:
- You must fill out the odometer declaration.
- The buyer and seller must sign, date, and time it.
- New owner must provide proof of liability insurance.
- The seller must complete the proof of sale section on their registration and mail it to the DMV.
- The vehicle cannot be driven until a new title is issued.
- If there are to be multiple owners on the new title, all parties must sign the transfer of title.
Delaware DMV Office Locations
There are four DMV locations in the state, at least one in each county. Find their address, contact info, and directions here.
The hours are 8 AM to 4 PM Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. 12 PM to 8 PM on Wednesday.
Out Of State Title Transfer
Since Delaware is such a small state, it is likely you found your new ride out-of-state.
There are a couple extra things you will need to do.
- Complete the purchase out-of-state.
- Bring the old title, proof of insurance, and the bill of sale to the DMV and obtain a 5-Day Temporary Tag.
- Bring the vehicle to a Delaware inspection lane.
- Once you receive an inspection certificate, bring all your paperwork to the DMV to get the new title and registration.
Delaware Title Transfer Fees
How much does it cost to transfer a car title in the state of Delaware? If you have a loan on the new car, the title costs $55. If there is no loan on the car it only costs $35 for the title.
For each sale, the buyer pays a 4.25% tax on the purchase price or NADA trade-in value, whichever is higher.
Registration and plates will cost $40.
How To Fill Out Delaware Transfer Of Title Forms
When you sell your car, besides filling out the title for transfer, you must complete the Seller’s Report of Sale that is located on your current registration card. Include the price, date, and time of the sale along with the buyer’s name and address.
This information will later be attached to the new title by the DMV.
Do You Need To Have The Vehicle Title Notarized In Delaware?
The State of Delaware does not require a notary stamp for a valid title transfer.
However, the DMV recommends that private vehicle sales be conducted at the DMV office so that the information on the title can be verified and a new title issued to the buyer immediately.
Do I Need Car Insurance In Delaware To Transfer My Title?
The DE DMV requires every vehicle to carry liability insurance in order to have a new title or registration issued, Bring your proof of insurance with you to the DMV.
If you have any more questions about title transfer requirements in Delaware, contact the DMV at the number listed next to your local office. There is also a live chat available during regular business hours, just click on the icon.
Delaware DMV Hours And Contact Information
For more information on questions specific to your title transfer scenario, clarification on the title transfer process in the state of Delaware, or for DE DMV hours and to find the DMV location nearest to you, visit the official Delaware Department of Motor Vehicles website by clicking here.
Common Questions About Delaware Title Transfer
Are there any questions about transferring a car title that we didn’t cover?
We are constantly updating our content and welcome your feedback. Leave us a comment and let us know any other questions you might have regarding how to transfer a car title in the state of Delaware.