What Do You Need to Register Your Vehicle?

If you just moved to Maryland or purchased a new or used vehicle, you can complete the vehicle registration process at the time a title transfer is done. If you choose to complete the registration process after transferring a title, will need the following documents:

New Maryland residents must register their vehicle within 60 days of moving. Registering a vehicle after 60 days of moving to the state may make you ineligible for a title tax credit to cover costs for certain required fees at the time of titling and registration. You may also be issued a citation for driving with an out of state registration.

  • A Maryland vehicle inspection Certificate issued by a licensed station (valid for 90-days)
  • Your driver’s license or ID card
  • The title for the vehicle and a completed VR-005 form (used both in vehicle titling and registration)
  • Proof of auto insurance from a Maryland-approved agent.
  • If leased, the lease agreement and proof of payments
  • Payment of the required Maryland vehicle registration fees based on the vehicle’s class and weight.
You can register your vehicle by visiting your local Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) or by mailing these documents to 6601 Ritchie Highway, N.E. Glen Burnie, MD 21062. Once the Maryland vehicle registration paperwork is filed, you will received tags valid for two years for most vehicles. When it comes time to complete a Maryland vehicle registration renewal, you can do so in person, by mail, or online.

Insurance Requirements

Before applying for registration, you must obtain sufficient car insurance coverage from a vehicle insurance company licensed in Maryland. You will need a policy that covers:

  • $30,000 for bodily injury
  • $60,000 for 2 or more people
  • $15,000 property damage

If you are new to Maryland and have coverage from an out-of-state provider, you will need to contact them to have them convert your policy to a Maryland one. If your current provider does not offer that, you can shop for new coverage here.

Title and Lien Issues

If you do not have your vehicle title because it is in the possession of a lien holder, you can have them send a copy of the title to the MVA. The MVA customer service center will need a fax number to contact your lienholder in order to obtain the title copy. Once that documentation is received, someone from the customer service center will contact you to complete the required steps outlined above.

Boat Registrations

While boat trailers and all other wheeled vehicles are registered with the MVA in Maryland, registration of vessels must be done with the Department of Natural Resources. Boat registrations must be done in person at a service center by completing the DNR B-240 form. The registration is issued for two years and the expiration is always on December 31st.